Baptism Day

DELMAR: "Me and Pete been baptized and saved."

EVERETT: "Baptism! You two are just dumber than a bag of hammers."


So speaks George Clooney's character Ulysses Everett McGill in the film O Brother, Where Art Thou?  But the story proves the wisdom of Pete and Delmar, and the foolishness of Everett. And Everett does get baptized in the end, even if it's rather against his will.

Our culture still scorns Baptism today, laughing at the thought that a bit of water can be in any way significant or efficacious. Today we had the privilege to celebrate two "dumb" baptisms: my nephew Landan, son of my brother Chris and sister-in-law Angie; and Aidan, son of my cousin Stefanie and her husband Doug. Many of you, especially old friends who are reading this on Facebook, will join me in rejoicing over these baptisms, though you may feel a bit strange when I tell you that both of these boys are between the ages of 2 and 5 months old.

I won't use an occasion of great joy to argue against my Baptist brothers and sisters. After all, I grew up Baptist, and have a great deal of love and respect for that noble part of Christendom. I simply offer you a passage of Scripture, and an invitation to discuss this further with any who wish to do so:

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.  For the promise is unto you, and to your children..." (Acts 2:38-39, emphasis mine).


Blessings to Landan and Aidan on this day, on which God has claimed them as His own. In their baptisms, God the Father, just as He did on the occasion of another baptism, has said, "this is my beloved son...." Blessings to their parents as they begin the work of believing the Father.